Saturday, September 27, 2008

Banned Books Week

Today is the start of Banned Books Week.

It's interesting to think that Mark Twain passed away almost a hundred years ago, yet he's ranked third in the list of the Most Frequently Challenged Authors of 2007. That's street cred you can't buy.

You've read a banned book if you have read:
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Angelou)
- Brave New World (Huxley)
- The Giver (Lowry)
- most of the Harry Potter books (Rowling)
- The Golden Compass (Pullman)
- Catcher in the Rye (Salinger)
- The Lovely Bones (Sebold)
I've read those books, because obviously I am a bleeding-heart liberal from California. Woohoo. I have also purchased a copy of “And Tango Makes Three,” by Justin Richardson/Peter Parnell, which is the #1 most challenged book of 2007, but I have not read it since I had it directly shipped to a friend and her partner, so it could be one of the first books their daughter will ever read.

No comments: