Friday, April 11, 2008

The Perils of Group Projects in Distance Learning

My group has been remarkably relaxed with our Strategic Plan, even though it is due next Sunday. We seem to be in good shape for it, but I have this nagging overachiever tendency to think that more should be done, tempered by the underachiever tendency to do the least work for the most results.

It seems like the other people in the group are not as responsive as I would like them to be to my emails and forum posts, but I am afraid of being more persistent with the emails and forum posts. I'd rather not piss them off.

I don't dislike the other people in my group, I just don't like how this is set up. Somehow I thought there would be the awkward teething stage in terms of getting used to group projects with people I will hardly see face to face or may never see face to face, but it seemed to be gelling better in a group for another class.

Perhaps more constant deadlines and shorter assignments make it easier for that.

This is frustrating; a necessary evil.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Maybe the people in this particular group are on the far [right] side of the technology adoption curve. Perhaps, they are old-school librarians who thought this coursework would bring them into the 21st century...but without having to use the tools of the new millennium. It's a good scenario: your emails are a form of torture. Just keep playing this thought over and over in your mind as you send out more emails to the group.

Ren said...

Actually all grad students are required to take the New Student Technology Workshop which involved things like...learning how to attach a document to an email. I wish I were kidding.

I got more responses tonight though; with the deadline getting closer, it's getting more active (as it should be).